After it was restored at the Williamstown Art Conservation Center, the painting “Westminster Village in 1831” was hung at the library on the wall near the main floor checkout. This important 19th century landscape is by Westminster’s own Deacon Robert Peckham (1785-1877). The painting was restored with funds generously donated to the library by the Dawley family.
On May 27, 2012, the National Gallery in Washington, DC, opened a special exhibit on Peckham’s work. One of the featured works in that exhibit was “Deacon Peckham’s Hobby Horse.”
We are lucky to have a number of Peckham’s paintings and many can be seen on the library walls. Some toys made by Peckham for his children, from the library’s collection, are displayed in the Eloranta Room on the third floor.