Acceptance of Gifts Policy
The purpose of this policy is to set forth guidelines for accepting and handling gifts of library materials made to the Forbush Memorial Library.
- Gifts or donations in the nature of books, movies (on video tape or DVD), audio books (on tape or CD) and music CDs will be accepted if the donations are in accordance with the Material Selection Policy approved by the Library Board of Trustees on July 7, 2011.
- The library will accept only items in good condition (free of mold, stains, pencil or ink markings, torn, or missing pages) that are of general interest to the public.
- While some items may be added to the collection, the library retains the right to sell donated items or to otherwise dispose of them.
- The value of the item(s) given is to be determined by the donor for tax purposes. The library staff will not provide a letter or receipt indicating any determination of cash value or worth.
- The Director or his/her designee will determine where in the collection donated items will be placed.
- The following categories of items are those which the Library cannot accept:
- Abridged books published by Readers’ Digest
- Anything on medical subjects
- Issues of magazines
For collection purposes, the library will not accept used computer books, dictionaries, encyclopedias, legal books or classroom texts.
Approved by the Board of Trustees July 7, 2011