Because the powers of library boards of trustees are designated in MGL Chapter 78: Section 11. Board of trustees; powers and duties the Forbush Memorial Library Board of Trustees is responsible for any land, facility, gift, or bequest under their control.
As such the Forbush Board of Trustees is responsible for the approval and placement of memorial objects, artwork, signs, sculptures, banners, benches, trees or other plantings, fountains, detached structures, and walls in any or on any Library owned land or facility.
In the spirit of cooperation with the Town of Westminster’s Board of Selectmen and/or Memorial Committee, should any of the above be accepted by the Board of Trustees, the Board Chairperson will notify the Board of Selectmen and/or Memorial Committee in writing of any memorials (etc.) accepted, named, or renamed.
The following criteria shall apply for acceptance or naming of memorials:
- The Board of Trustees shall vote on the acceptance and appropriateness of a memorial at a regularly scheduled or special meeting of the Board.
- Memorials in the Library property or on its property will typically be for people or events in some way connected with the Library. e.g. employees, Trustees, volunteers, or momentous occasions.
- Sufficient funds and space must be available to maintain the memorial.
- The Board of Trustees, or their designee, will notify appropriate Town boards and/or committees of the memorial.
- If a memorial is deemed no longer appropriate, it’s removal shall be voted on by the Board at a regularly scheduled meeting, and appropriate Town boards and/or committees notified in writing.
- Living memorials shall exist for the life of the memorial only.
- The Board of Trustees will adhere to MGL Chap.78: Section 11 (below).
- The Board of Trustees shall be mindful of (but not governed by) the Town’s “Policy for the Naming of Public Land and Facilities and Placement of Memorials” passed March 1, 2010 [attached] by the Board of Selectmen.
MGL Chapter 78: Section 11. Board of trustees; powers and duties
Section 11. The board shall have the custody and management of the library and reading room and of all property owned by the town relating thereto. All money raised or appropriated by the town for its support and maintenance shall be expended by the board, and all money or property which the town may receive by gift or bequest for said library and reading room shall be administered by the board in accordance with the provisions of such gift or bequest. The board of any library, for the purpose of improving the services of said library, may enter into an agreement with the board or boards of any neighboring library or libraries, to pay for services in common, or to manage a facility to be operated jointly by more than one municipality, such payments to be shared in accordance with terms of such agreement.
Approved by the Board of Trustees 04/06/2010