In an effort to provide a Library environment with a pleasant atmosphere in which all should be able to read,study, play games quietly, and attend programs, the Board of Trustees has adopted a policy regarding personal behavior within the building and on the grounds. For this to be possible, it is necessary that the following behavior be observed:
- Normal conversational tones spoken in a respectful manner are welcome, but foul language and loud voices are not.
- Disruptive behavior such as fighting, running, or rough-housing is not allowed.
- Verbally or physically harassing library patrons or staff in the Library or on the grounds is forbidden. If you are concerned about another’s behavior, or a policy/procedure, speak to a member of the staff. Violating another’s privacy by petitioning, campaigning, or soliciting is not allowed.
- Smoking, drinking, and eating are not allowed.
- Library users are responsible for their own personal property. Please do not leave items unattended.
- No animals are allowed in the Library except service animals (under control of their owners) helping disabled persons or as part of a Library-sponsored program.
- Bicycles, roller blades, skateboards, scooters or similar equipment may not be used in the building or anywhere on the grounds. Bicycles should be left outside the building in the rack designated for bicycles. Care for the safety and consideration for small children and the elderly will be taken in account if the police have to be called.
- Climbing trees on Library grounds and climbing structures attached to the Library building are prohibited.
- No person should block the entrances, exits, or walkways to the Library building in any way.
- Shirts and shoes must be worn in the Library.
- Child safety policies must be followed.
- Parents are responsible for the behavior and supervision of their children. Children under the age of 10 should not be left unattended in any part of the building.
- The rights of others should be respected at all times.
- The Internet Use Policy must be adhered to.
- Use of personal electronic equipment in such a way as to disturb others is forbidden. Cellular telephones must be turned off as one enters the building.
- Damaging library property is forbidden.
- All materials must be checked out before leaving the building.
- Any activity that is in violation of federal/state law, or local ordinance is forbidden.
- 19. The Forbush Memorial Library assumes no responsibility for injury to any person misusing the Library facilities or misbehaving on the Library premises.
Disciplinary process for the Library
- A member of the staff will speak to the offending party once.
- If the infraction is repeated, the offending party will be asked to leave the Library immediately.
- In cases where injury would result, if illegal activates are suspected, or if is someone out of control and a patron/staff member suspects violence, the police will be summoned immediately.
- Library privileges may be suspended at the discretion of the Director and/or Board of Trustees.
Right of appeal
- The offending party has the right to appeal suspension of library privileges in writing within five business days of the suspension.
- The Library Director or his/her designee will respond within ten business days.
Replaces policies “Behavior in the Library”, “Unattended Child Policy”, and “Library Grounds Policy” passed in 2003.
Approved by the Forbush Memorial Library Board of Trustees 10/07/09